Worldwide, October is now called Pink October referring to Breast Cancer Awareness month. This movement purpose is to increase awareness and reduce the panic linked to the symptoms and the treatment of breast cancer. One big factor linked to the risk of this disease is a healthy lifestyle: maintaining a healthy weight and eating a healthy diet.
What are the healthy lifestyle choices one can take?
– Get regular exercise and be physically active.
– Eat all the colors! Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables including dark green, red, and orange also legumes such as peas, lentils, and beans.
– Choose whole grain and complex carbohydrates.
– Eat more fiber.
– Choose foods rich in phytochemicals such as cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower…), garlic and soybeans.
– Eat good fats such as olive oil, nuts, seeds, and avocadoes.
– Choose lean cuts of meat, fish, and poultry.
– Limit processed meats and foods.
– Limit sugars and sugar sweetened beverages.
– Stay hydrated, aim for at least 2 to 3 liters of fluid per day.
– Avoid Alcohol.
– Quit Smoking.
Overall, a balanced nutrient rich diet accompanied with physical activity can help with lowering the risk of breast cancer and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.Written by Celine Saad | Nutritionist, Kcal