Holiday season is around the corner and the holidays are times of celebration often accompanied by special traditions and feasts around the table. Therefore, getting off track might be a concern if you’re trying to lose or even maintain weight.
Fortunately, finding peace and joy without stressing is easier than it sounds. Here are some tips you could follow.
• Keep your meal routine. Try to eat at approximately the same time each day and do not skip meals to “save-up” for a holiday dinner as this might lead to overeating.
• Choose wisely. Try to go for low fat foods when possible.
• Be active. Aim to exercise 3-5 times per week.
• Mind you portion sizes. Don’t overload your plate or use a smaller plate as it can help control your portions.
• Don’t forget that drinks count too. Choose water or low-calorie drinks and limit alcohol.
• Eat mindfully and focus on your food. Try to minimize distractions and pay attention to your body’s fullness signals.
• Don’t forget to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
• Focus on fiber. Fiber is another important nutrient that helps you feel full.
• Balance your diet with protein. Including protein in each meal is important as it promotes satiety and may help with weight maintenance.
• Get plenty of sleep. Sleep restriction increases hunger hormone levels, which ultimately leads to increased caloric intake.
Finally, and most importantly, make sure to enjoy your time with your friends and families! Happy Holidays!Written by Celine Saad | Nutritionist, Kcal